Thursday, November 28, 2013

TUTORIAL THURSDAY ~AIRBRUSHED BACKGROUND~


Hi there, it's Tracey here to share a tutorial I have made for you on how to
  AIRBRUSH A BACKGROUND using copic markers. Usually I like to airbrush clouds, but today I will show you how I airbrush a snowy background for Christmas.

STEP 1
Stamp your chosen stamp onto card stock twice. One image will be used for colouring, the other to make a mask.


STEP 2
Color in one image. Then cut out the other image making sure to cut right on the outline so the background reaches all the way to the edge of the image, without an unsightly white border.
I like to use cutter bee scissors for this.


STEP 3
Use a rectangular die to cut out your coloured image. Unfortunately I forgot to photograph this step, so I have restamped him just for the purposes of this tutorial.
Once cut out, leave the image within the die as I use the die as a stencil to give the white edge to the rectangle during airbrushing.


STEP 4
Put your coloured image aside and prepare your masks for airbrushing.
I cut snowflakes using the Heart snowflake dies. I cut them from "mask-it", which is lightly adhesive.


STEP 5
You now have your reusable snowflake masks and Luka mask ready to start.


STEP 6 
Set up your airbrush with desired colour of copic sketch marker. I used BG000, BG72, and B60.
Adhere the card stock Luka mask on top of the coloured Luka image using repositionable tape runner adhesive.
Adhere the snowflake masks randomly over the background.



STEP 7
Use the airbrush to layer the 3 different colours over the entire area, putting more of each colour in some places. This is the first layer.


STEP 8
Carefully remove just the snowflake masks and reposition them somewhere different on the background.
Then repeat the airbrushing process with all three colours, but this time try to avoid parts of the snowflakes that you have already airbrushed, so that they stay crisp white.
This adds an extra layer of depth to the background.



STEP 9
Very carefully remove the masks, revealing your background.


STEP 10
Add some snow in by hand with copic markers to ground the image.
I used W0, W2, and W4.
Add embellishments and your Christmas card is finished.



STAMP

DIES

FRAMES AND SHAPES

COPICS
Skin- E000, E00, E21, E11, R30
Hair- E15, E18, YR21
Hat- E30, E31, E33, E35
Jacket- E11, E13, E15, E19
Collar- W2, W4, E31
Trousers- YG91, YG93, YG95, YG97, YG99
Top- R22, R24, R27, R29
Book- E30, E31, E33
Pages- W0, W2
Wreath- G20, G24, G28, G29, R27.

Congratulations for making it all the way to the end of my long tutorial. I hope you were inspired to try my background technique.
Don't despair if you don't have an airbrush. The same effect can also be achieved with masks used with distress inks and a foam brush.

Thanks again for allowing me to share my tutorial with you.

Hugs,

Tracey XO

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, must give this a go at the weekend, thanks.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. your really great tutorial. I am a fan of your products Frames & shapes.
    I still hope many products of this kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome airbrush tutorial! I'll give this a try! Thank you! Wish I had your mad coloring skills!!

    ReplyDelete